The Cathedral holds a collection of stunning artworks and treasures, from items from the Staffordshire Hoard, found nearby in Hammerwich, to the St Chad gospels, from beautiful sculpture to world renowned stained glass.
Follow the links below to learn more of some of these key artworks.
Further works of interest include:
Burial monuments inside the Cathedral are as follows:
Walter Langton (d. 1321) has an elaborate canopied tomb of white stone on the south side of the high altar.
There are two effigies from the13th and 14th century of medieval bishops that survived the Civil War in the south choir aisle. An effigie of dean Heywood d.1492) stands in the north west corner of the north transept.
A medieval effigy survives in the wall of the south choir aisle and two others in the wall of the south nave aisle.
Bishop John Hacket (d. 1670) has a monument which was moved from against the wall of the south choir aisle to a position under a choir arch near the west end of the aisle in 1979.
A later bishop Henry Ryder (d. 1836) is depicted by a life-size figure sculpted by Sir Francis Chantrey and is seen in the north choir aisle.
There is an effigy of George Selwyn (d. 1878) in a chamber at the south side of the Lady Chapel. Around this effigy are scenes that show the work the bishop conducted in New Zealand with the Maoris and also with the miners in the local area of Lichfield district.
There is a monument to the writer Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (d. 1789), this is found at the west end of the north nave aisle.
There is a monument for the founder of Newton’s College ( in the Close) this was Andrew Newton, and this can be seen in the south transept of the Cathedral.
Sir Charles Oakeley (d. 1826) the governor of Madras has a memorial in the north transept.
You can also view memorial busts of the actor David Garrick (d. 1779) and of Dr. Samuel Johnson (d. 1784)